Brother is a recognized multinational brand for home and office printing supplies, but their laser printers and multifunctional printers which they market as multifunctional centers (MFCs) are the most popular. Known to be one of the largest manufacturers of laser printers along with HP, Samsung and Xerox, Brother Industries continues to provide an award-winning line of printing devices to a broad market of consumers from small-to-medium sized businesses up to large corporations. With this in mind, ColorTonerExpert Blog is here to provide another article to help you with your Brother printer’s maintenance. On our last article, “How to Easily Clean Your Brother Laser Printer“, we gave you four easy steps on how you can clean your Brother laser printer without having to be frustrated with the dozen of complicated instructions found in the internet. That’s why for today’s article, we’re going to discuss how you can clean your Brother MFC’s drum unit.
Brother laser printing machines usually has separate consumables for the toner cartridge and the drum unit. The Brother drum cartridge is also known as your Brother printer’s photo-receptor drum that transfers the toner to the paper. Depending on the machine, you may need to clean the drum cartridge occasionally for your Brother printer to work properly. So here are the steps you need to do in order to clean your Brother Printer’s drum unit:
- Turn off the machine’s power switch, unplug the cables and wires connected to it then unplug the power cord as well. Remember to let the Brother laser printer off for an hour or two before you start, to make sure the heat rollers have already cool down.
- Press the front cover release button to open the front cover.
- Hold the green handle of the Brother drum unit. Lift the unit up and pull it out until it stops.
- Release the gray lock lever located in the left side of the machine. Lift the front of the drum unit then pull it completely out of the machine using its green handles.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and pull it out of the drum unit. Do the same with the remaining cartridges.
- Turn the drum unit over by holding the handles. The four drum unit gears should be on the left side and the drum unit gear 1 should be the farthest one from you.
- Look at the print sample to identify the color causing the problem. Place the print sample in front of the drum to locate the exact position of the poor print.
- Turn the drum unit gear toward you by hand while looking at the surface of the drum.
- When you have found the mark on the drum that matches the print sample, wipe the surface of the drum carefully with a cotton swab until the dust or paper powder on the surface comes off.
- Turn the drum unit gear toward you by hand to return it to the home position. Make sure that the number on each of the four drum unit gears matches the number on the side of the drum unit.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and slide the toner cartridge into the drum unit.
- Put the drum unit back in the machine. Make sure that the gray lock lever (1) is in the up position before you place the drum unit into the machine. After it is placed, push down the gray lock lever.
- Close the front cover of the machine then plug the cables and the power cord to turn the machine on.
Sources: Brother Solutions Center
At ColorTonerExpert, we offer a wide selection of remanufactured and compatible Brother toner cartridges, ink cartridges and drum cartridges ideal to replace your Brother printers’ supplies. Our replacement Brother toner cartridges and ink cartridges are expertly remanufactured to match the print quality and yield produced by original Brother printer cartridges.
ColorTonerExpert promises quality prints, fast shipping and huge savings! 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Shop for your replacement Brother printer supplies now!